DIY DOLLHOUSE – My Craigslist Before & After

This was such a fun DIY Project!
We were on the hunt for a dollhouse to give our sophia(3) for Christmas..
but just could not find anything that was 1..in our budget..
and 2..wasn’t HUGE and PINK.
(I wanted something a bit more neutral/could grow with her..
and look cute in her room!)
Thought I would share some of the inexpensive diy details
I used to make it fun for her!

Check out the video below of me sharing all the details of the dollhouse!

WHAT I USED:
Dollhouse – Craigslist Find…$30
Craft Wood Plaque Multi Pack- Michael’s…$3 or $4
5 Furniture Pieces already made- Dollar Store/Michael’s…$1 Each
Ikea Fabric Scraps & Batting Material Scraps…Already Had
1 Dish Rag from Dollar Store
19 or so Pages of Scrap Book Paper- JoAnn…$9.99 for the 180 Page Fresh Floral Stack
Scrap booking Sticker Christmas Decorations- Michael’s..on sale.. couple bucks.
Mod Podge/Double Sided Tape/Scissors
Graphics printed off computer- Kitchen, Bathroom Tile & Mirror, Fireplace, Frame graphics filled with photos or prints.

34 Comments on DIY DOLLHOUSE – My Craigslist Before & After

1. Tracey @ My House of Giggles
    January 27, 2012 at 11:16 pm (2 years ago)

You are amazing!! I want to live in that doll house! ;) It looks like such a fun project….if only my boys would appreciate it :) You are such a great momma!! I’m sure Sophia loves it so much. What a lucky girl :)

2. Hayley
    January 27, 2012 at 11:51 pm (2 years ago)

I also want to live in that dollhouse. Love it!!!!

Hayley
    wee.hayleysworld.com

3. Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants
    January 28, 2012 at 1:46 am (2 years ago)

This is adorable! I want to share it on my blog, do you mind? My blog name is Ms Smartie Pants so when I see someone who has done something really special I show it off and give them a Ms Smartie pants award. I wish I had a house like this for me!

4. Grace Marie
    January 28, 2012 at 9:15 am (2 years ago)

Julia is waving and waving and waving at you in the video …. so funny.

5. Laura@Cowboy Boots
    January 28, 2012 at 11:08 am (2 years ago)

that was so amazing!!!! loved the bathroom votive sink idea!

6. Krista
    January 28, 2012 at 11:47 am (2 years ago)

So darn cute! What a great job! I love all the bright colors used and the awesome attention to detail. Sophia is sure to love it for many years. You may have even creates an heirloom :)

7. Nikki
    January 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm (2 years ago)

This is so creative and adorable! We want to get Evie a dollhouse for her 2nd birthday, coming in July. I really want wooden and love how you did this on a budget! I was wondering, what dolls do your girls have to use with this doll house?

8. The Trailovs
    January 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm (2 years ago)

i want to redo my daughter’s dollhouse now….beautiful!

9. Stephanie of Gumdrop Pass
    January 28, 2012 at 8:24 pm (2 years ago)

Oooh my gosh – this is just so so so creative and cute. Way to go, Momma! You’ve made me hope for a girl now. There’s only so much fun that can be had with monster trucks :)

10. Carpenter's
    January 29, 2012 at 12:53 am (2 years ago)

This is AMAZING! Oh and I LOVE how you incorporated your love and faith in God in the adorable posters. I can’t wait to duplicate this for my daughter! Thanks for sharing.

11. mtmoller
    January 29, 2012 at 3:09 am (2 years ago)

This is so cute. I have been trying to figure out how to make decent looking, inexpensive furniture for a cragslist dollhouse bookshelf. Look at your daughters face, she looks like a super happy girl!

12. Jessica Cietek
    January 29, 2012 at 11:50 am (2 years ago)

Oh oh I adore!!! I cannot wait to do something like this for my 2 1/2 year old…maybe for her birthday in August!!!

13. Marjorie
    January 29, 2012 at 2:26 pm (2 years ago)

love this dollhouse so much! i agree with you about plastic, pink house there’s something special about the wooden ones :)

14. Mari Krumholtz
    January 30, 2012 at 7:15 am (2 years ago)

How precious!!! Having such a cute dollhouse is already awesome, but one that your mom decorated with so much care and love is priceless! Great mamma, lucky girls!
    (so sad in my country I would pay at least 150 for just the frame of the house, even if used :( )

15. megan
    January 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm (2 years ago)

This is AMAZING! I love it so much. I will now be on the lookout for an empty house to fix up for my girls. Thanks for the great inspiration!

16. Amy
    January 31, 2012 at 1:30 pm (2 years ago)

Wow! You are so creative. Where do you find the time and energy with all that you do?

17. Morgan
    January 31, 2012 at 11:55 pm (2 years ago)

Wow! This is SO Neat! Going to be referencing when I’m ready to DIY a dollhouse for my little one :). Lovely job!!

March 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm (2 years ago)

Great job on your project! I’m doing a similar one for my kids, but I’m having trouble finding graphics for the kitchen wall of cabinets…any suggestions? Thanks!

19. Sherry
    April 15, 2012 at 1:02 am (2 years ago)

This is a wonderful idea and looks great!! Thank you for sharing my boys are wanting a doll house thinking of building something simple have a feeling they wont play with it for very long!

20. Becca
    April 22, 2012 at 4:09 pm (2 years ago)

I love your site. <3 So many ideas to do with my little one. <3
    Thanks for sharing.

21. Gabrielle Gottula
    July 7, 2012 at 5:57 pm (2 years ago)

I love your blog!!! You have so many have such inspiring things on here and your personality is so fun and lively. I love the dollhouse!! Great job! I also saw that you are expecting in November and so am I. I’m pregnant with our 2nd child. We have a little girl Rowynn. We just had our ultrasound, but did not find out. I was just wondering if you guys found out what you’re having? I just wanted to let you know that I can’t wait to see more from you!!
    Take care. Gabrielle

22. Lesa
    August 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm (2 years ago)

That is the most precious dollhouse EVER! Love the simplicity and charm! Awesome details with recycled materials too!

23. Alison
    September 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm (2 years ago)

This comment has been removed by the author.

24. Southern Elle
    November 23, 2012 at 6:11 pm (2 years ago)

I love what you’ve done here.. and I’m about to begin work on a dollhouse myself. I had a question about the kitchen… is that background of countertops and everything an image attached to the wall? OR does it have actual mini counters?

Love all your projects. So inspired.

25. Ginger Lola
    February 4, 2013 at 3:50 pm (1 year ago)

This is soooo beautiful, you did an amazing job…you and your daughter will get so many hours of fun from it, my niece and I love playing with her dollhouses. I make them from scratch using cardboard and paper mache, but I would love to find an old dollhouse frame and work with it…going to kijiji right now :)

26. Grace Johnson
    February 5, 2013 at 6:07 pm (1 year ago)

Cool doll house, guess you and your daughter enjoyed doing this one. I remember me and my mom picking out some LA furniture for our newly-renovated home. I think that doing things together with your family will really create a tight bond to any relationship.

27. Janice Milton
    February 12, 2013 at 2:56 am (1 year ago)

This is the cutest thing ever! My daughter will absolutely love this. I will make this my next project but I definitely need my hubby’s help. I will start looking for materials and tools online. Just thinking about it makes me so excited!

28. Love and Lollipops
    March 17, 2013 at 10:11 am (1 year ago)

Absolutely an awesome dollhouse! All the little details made me smile :)

Georgia

29. Denese Garrett
    June 7, 2014 at 12:11 pm (1 month ago)

This is adorable. I’m a pre-school teacher and came across what looks to be the exact dollhouse sitting in a neighbors trash. So I grabbed it and wanted to re-do it for my classroom. Your ideas on the furniture are exactly what I’m looking for. But the dollhouse is pinks and purples which I’m not a fan. Did you re-paint the outside of yours? And what does the front look like for some ideas?

30. Mary Beth
    June 23, 2014 at 10:05 pm (4 weeks ago)

I was wondering if you could share the approximate dimensions of your adorable doll house- I’m currently scouring craigslist to attempt something similar, but I’m having a hard time visualizing what dimensions to look like to match the Michael’s & homemade furniture pieces. Thanks!

• natalie
      July 2, 2014 at 8:26 pm (3 weeks ago)

Ooh Let me get back to you on that! I’ll find my measuring tape and try to remember to post back here! thanks!! :)

31. Stazja
    July 2, 2014 at 5:33 pm (3 weeks ago)

I’ve been searching for something like this and I’m so glad I did! I have a dollhouse of my own but my younger sister wont stop touching it because the one she has now (my old one) needs alot of work. For a 6 year old this is perfect!