Our Felt Board- Tutorial & Inspiration Photos

I’m so excited to share this little project I’ve been working on!
I have wanted to create a Felt Board for my girls for a while..
Once I got the felt and created the big board..
I started having fun creating little pieces for the girls to play with!
I took requests. ;)
Sienna’s favorites..
the airplane and duckies in the pond.

I have received a lot of requests to purchase
some of the Felt Board Pieces I created…so..
I decided to open up shop! Charming Felt.
Would love to create some handmade fun for you!

For those of you who Sew..
Here’s some inspiration for your own felt board!

This is great quiet play time for my girls.
They love putting the pieces all over the board.
Sophia is very specific about where the sun goes. top right corner.
anywhere else and you’re a crazy person.
The Castle and horse and carriage were one of the first things I made..
She then requested a princess sophie and sienna..and a prince for each of them.
So of course they needed their weekend cottages. ;)
And a Church to go say hi to Jesus.. a Farm for food!
And you can’t have a farm without a cute pond full of duckies,
a pumpkin patch and some apple trees!
I might have to add some cars to the road eventually..
but for now the school bus and fire truck are their favorite “vehicles” anyways.
I think my favorite is the tractor with the bale of hay that they can take out and feed to the horse. They sometimes fill up the tractor with the pumpkins. :)
Here’s the step by step of how I made the felt board.
I had a big piece of artwork that we weren’t using so I used it as my base.
Someone was very excited about her felt board……
happy babies. happy mommy.
Hope you found some felt inspiration!
If you haven’t checked out the felt cupcakes I made for the board..
You can view it here.

30 Comments on Our Felt Board- Tutorial & Inspiration Photos

1. Laura@Cowboy Boots
    June 20, 2012 at 8:28 am (2 years ago)

ohhhh adorable!

we’ll be over to play at 10… :o)

2. Cheryl Enlow
    June 20, 2012 at 9:27 am (2 years ago)

This felt board is so cute!! Can’t wait for you to come out with some pieces for Etsy :) Love it!

3. Ashley
    June 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm (2 years ago)

OH my goodness, so crazy cute! And so detailed…I just love it! Great job, Mamma!

4. Lauren
    June 20, 2012 at 4:45 pm (2 years ago)

I love this idea! I really want to make one for my little girl. Did you just go to the fabric store and buy a bunch of each color of felt, or do you recommend a place to order online?
    Thanks so much! Great inspiration!!

5. Alyssa
    June 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm (2 years ago)

I love this! I’m going to bring up this idea at church and hopefully we can make one for the children’s room!

6. Katie
    June 20, 2012 at 11:40 pm (2 years ago)

So Cute! Wondering where you found such large pieces of felt?

7. Angie
    June 21, 2012 at 5:50 pm (2 years ago)

I think that it is a great idea for the etsy shop. But I was wondering if you are still going to put up the templates for felt pieces.

8. Sarah
    October 6, 2012 at 9:24 pm (2 years ago)

Do you have paper patterns for these pieces? Or any suggestions on how to make my own? I am new to sewing and have never used felt but I would love to make this for my daughter for Christmas.

• Natalie Catherine of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com
      November 13, 2013 at 11:33 pm (11 months ago)

hey! I don’t have any patterns up to share right now.. but you could always print off clip art…pin it to the felt and then cut them out! to get a basic outline.

November 11, 2012 at 6:18 pm (2 years ago)

This is so adorable! I think I’ll make one for my nieces for Christmas. Did you have to double-layer each item when you sewed it? For example, for the school bus, did you have to cut out 2 yellow school bus shapes and sew them together to give it more “substance”?

Thanks!

• Natalie Catherine of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com
      November 13, 2013 at 11:32 pm (11 months ago)

some of them are double layers..some are not! I did a lot over overlaying..so some areas are single and some have a second layer of the details on them. hope that makes sense!

10. MAEH
    December 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm (2 years ago)

How big is your board? I’m trying to decide what size to make. Thanks!

January 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm (2 years ago)

what are you using to attach the peices to the board (velcro, double sided tape)

12. Blessed Mommy
    January 29, 2013 at 4:00 pm (2 years ago)

I love this idea for our playroom. I made quiet felt books for my 2 for Christmas, which are very handy during church.

13. Jessica
    February 2, 2013 at 10:47 pm (2 years ago)

I added a link to your wonderful post from my blog, “My Teacher’s Name is Mama” (Snow Much Fun: Felt Boards) Thanks for sharing this is great!

February 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm (2 years ago)

HI! Thanks for the inspiration, I just had a go at making this for my 2 boys today during nap time – mostly dinos for today!
    Can I ask how you store your felt pieces please?
    Thanks! – UK Mummy xx

15. Unknown
    September 23, 2013 at 5:06 pm (1 year ago)

Do you have links for the patterns you used?

16. Brittany
    November 4, 2013 at 5:05 am (12 months ago)

Hello! I read through your comments on here hoping to find the answer to my question but no luck. I was just curious if you just used the cheap sheets of felt that you find at Wal-Mart for this craft or did you buy online? I have only seen felt in 8×11 squares. You found some large enough to make the sky and grass.. where at?

November 13, 2013 at 10:53 pm (11 months ago)

Larger pieces of felt fabric can be purchased from a store like Joann. I am still not sure how the felt sticks, might have to experiment with velcro. I would probably store the pieces in a plastic craft tote like this http://www.mpmschoolsupplies.com/p-2049-small-art-caddy-4-pack.aspx which can be found at any craft store, target or walmart.

This website has felt templates that go with classic stories or fables http://www.dltk-kids.com/type/felt_board.htm
    Here is a pinterest board about felt boards http://www.pinterest.com/mwojdak/felt-board-ideas/
    Here is another blog with alternate instructions and links to templates http://www.kaylaaimee.com/2012/12/how-to-make-your-own-flannel-board-free-printables/

In no way do I intend to step on the toes of the author that created this post, I am just trying to help those with questions. If I am out of line please delete this comment. Thanks for sharing your super cool project! I am going to make one for my niece this Christmas.

18. Kimberly Johnson
    August 19, 2014 at 5:00 pm (2 months ago)

I checked out your etsy site but it closed. Congrats on the new baby. I would love templetes to make my own farm set. My son has some issues and things need to be in his idea of colors or it not right. I also would prefer to make them myself gives me something to do with my hands. Could you tell me the size of your people and vechiles? I love the farm. But we would have a purple barn and a yellow tractor.

• natalie
      August 23, 2014 at 9:39 pm (2 months ago)

hey! I don’t have that info near by.. I have a lot of those templates packed up. but try pinterest!

19. Maria
    September 12, 2014 at 10:13 am (1 month ago)

Couldn’t you use a glue gun to put the pieces together…is it not recommended? :)

• natalie
      September 16, 2014 at 12:09 pm (1 month ago)

It makes the pieces hard where the glue is.. and In my experience they didn’t hold up very well! :)

20. Norma
    September 23, 2014 at 10:02 am (1 month ago)

I bought 2 large bulletin boards at a garage sale for $.50 each and want to leave the framed border. Any ideas on whether I should use spray adhesive on the large pieces of felt to the board and tuck in edges under the frame or should I staple along the edge and cover the staples. Not sure what glue works for felt against cork. Excited to make for 2 grandsons. Such a cute idea.