Baby #3 – My Hospital Bag!

HOSPITAL BAGS ARE PACKED!
WOW.. it totally feels more real now! we are DOING THIS!…
That baby #3 will be here before we know it!
I thought I would share what I put in my Hospital Bag..all my favorites and must haves.
(I pack a suitcase. camera bag. back pack.)

I can’t believe I photographed my underwear in this blog post…..haha.
But seriously.. pack comfy undies ladies! and socks. :)
1. Target Nursing Tanks that I LIVE IN when I’m at the hospital & then
when I’m home and around the house.
This tip was given to me with my first baby by my sister-in-law. I have 3 of these.
2. Pretty Designer Hospital Gown by Dear Johnnies.
So excited to try this out this time around!
3. KMART find! these slippers are amazingly comfy. and snuggy. :)
4. Cute PJ’s from Target. The top and pants are so soft..and it’s easy for nursing in.
5. I always pack soft comfy tops to wear over my nursing tanks..with my “yoga pants.”
These are all from target.
6.Going home outfit.  I wear comfy Maternity clothes…
because you don’t leave as tiny as you wish. ;)
7. A robe. I got this one at target a while back..it’s a good weight and soft.
8. “Yoga pants”..that make you feel dressed when you want to be.

We don’t know what we are having so I packed both boy and girl clothes/blankets.
I know a lot of people just pack one outfit but I like to have the option of changing the baby into our clothes in the hospital. One BIG HUMONGOUS tip…get a pack of the gerber zip up onesies! Saves your life when you are trying to change the baby in the middle of the night.
And of course a Phillies onesie is packed for boy or girl. ;) Husband snuck that in.

I didn’t pack my boppy this time around. I have one…
but ended up not using it with Sienna (Baby #2)
I found using a regular pillow was just as good at the hospital and home.
But it was handy when I was first learning with Sophie (Baby #1)

I know plenty of mamas go deliver their baby with chapstick and that’s it!
But me…I like my routine and using my normal products..
my own face wash and moisturizer etc..
There are also certain items, like the nursing pads and nipple cream that are essential (especially for first time nursers) One thing I didn’t pack this time but
that I ALWAYS recommend for first time nursers…
nipple shields. You will thank me. Get some. I got mine at target.
They don’t sell the same kind I used, but have something similar.
I pack my favorite and basic makeup items too.
With sienna I was putting on my makeup in between contractions.
It kept me calm. haha.
And I like to feel fresh and like myself while at the Hospital.
My Mac under eye cream…miracle worker.
I can give birth all night with that product. ;)
I also love my burt’s bees tinted lip balm. a nice natural color and moisturizer in one.

Here’s linkage for all the products
I love and am packing.
I also have shared in a past post everything that is in my Makeup Bag.
In case you are curious. :)
1. lansinoh breast pads
2. urban decay cream to powder foundation
3. suave dry shampoo
4. cetaphil moisturizing cream
5. sonia kashuk blush
6. neutrogena pore refining toner
7. e.l.f. eyelid primer
8. urban decay concealer pencil
9. neutrogena foaming cleanser
10. burt’s bees tinted lip balm
11. clinique stay-matte sheer pressed powder
12. always infinity pads
13. mac mineralize concealer
14. neutrogena makeup removing towelettes (I bought the travel pack)
15. maybelline full n’ soft mascara
16. lansinoh cream
I put together some gifts for our nurses!
Nurses like candy.. nurses like patients who bring them candy.
It’s proven. (by my 2 past pregnancies ;)
We also packed up a gift for the big sisters.
When they come meet the baby at the hospital….
we’ll give them these presents from the baby. And then mommy and daddy are giving them the movie to take home with grandma and watch as a special treat!
(sophie has been wanting to see this one! so excited for her to see we got it.)

I’m sure there are some items that other people pack that I haven’t…
and items I packed that people would never… But this is how I do it :)
and if you are pregnant and packing… hope it helps!

31 Comments on Baby #3 – My Hospital Bag!

1. Stitch a Wish Designs
    October 21, 2012 at 9:55 pm (2 years ago)

So exciting !! Best wishes and can’t wait to see what you were blessed with !! xoxo

2. LB's mom
    October 21, 2012 at 10:30 pm (2 years ago)

This is such an exciting time! I found it so relaxing packing the bag the 2nd time around!

One tip that a friend told me that I’ll pass along was a framed picture of my daughter for beside my bed in the hospital. She intended this for the older sib, but it brought me such comfort throughout my stay! Good luck Natalie!

3. Lee Lee
    October 21, 2012 at 11:59 pm (2 years ago)

Love this post. very helpful! I am in the process of packing my hospital bag. (first time mommy here!) hell0ashleyy.blogspot.com

October 22, 2012 at 11:05 am (2 years ago)

Do you think you packed enough?Seriously, are you planning to stay a week?Thats pretty vein to need makeup while giving birth. Oh well to each his own.

• Sharon
      August 7, 2014 at 5:58 pm (4 weeks ago)

Have YOU ever given birth? As joyous of an occasion as it is, it’s also the grossest that a woman will ever feel in her life…lots of blood and bodily fluids; a deflated, jiggly belly; sore breasts and other, ahem, areas; dark circles under puffy eyes; swollen ankles…I think you get the point. For a woman who is used to wearing makeup most of the time, wearing makeup at the hospital isn’t vanity…it’s simply an effort to feel halfway normal during a very physically and emotionally overwhelming time. Don’t judge.

5. Mrs. E
    October 22, 2012 at 11:36 am (2 years ago)

Love your list of things to pack! Currently pregnant with our second and trying to come up with ways to make big brother feel special. Love your ideas and tips.

Also, I completely relate to you with the makeup. At the hospital I had to have my normal routine just to feel my best. It really did help. Wishing you the best!

6. Kelly
    October 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks!
    I feel like I am WAY too laid back with this one (2nd baby), so this helped to remind me that I actually need stuff – like a toothbrush and face wash!!
    Fantastic post – and boo to the person bad mouthing the make up!

7. Teresa
    October 22, 2012 at 12:05 pm (2 years ago)

I tried that mascara you recommended and I totally love it! Thank you so much!!

ps. wow some anons are a little rude these days…

8. Caitlin Ostberg
    October 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm (2 years ago)

I can’t wait to see what color this little baby will be wearing! I think it’s super smart to pack what makes you comfortable. Though I’m not giving birth any time soon (quite a few things need to happen first) :), it’s good to have this information for when the time comes!

9. Teri
    October 22, 2012 at 1:21 pm (2 years ago)

Natalie, your beautiful and def don’t NEED makeup but WANTING it is totally understandable. I wish I saw ur list before I gave birth bc my husband would have made a lot less trips back home. I was in the hospital close to a week,repeat csection (4days, 1 of which my son was in NICU) and so ur list will help a lot for those wondering what to pack

10. Logan & Allie
    October 22, 2012 at 1:22 pm (2 years ago)

I am getting so excited to see if you will be having a little prince or another perfect princess! Great tips and ideas for the hospital! You have a few things that I wish I would have brought when I had my kids.

On my last baby she was a huge surprise from the beginning and her delivery was very scary. I wish I would have had some makeup with me at the hospital to help me feel a little better. It is amazing how good it feels to have your own routine when everything else has “hit the fan”!

Good luck with your delivery! I can’t wait to see pictures!

To Anon- If you can’t say anything nice, please don’t say anything at all!

11. nicolemariearts
    October 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm (2 years ago)

Dear Anonymous,

It is VAIN. Not vein. Seriously. If you are going to be rude, spell correctly. Oh well, to each his own, right? GAH.

Natalie, I took makeup all 3 times so that I could feel like a normal person :) The fancy shoes are awesome big sister gifts. I’m looking forward to meeting this baby!

12. Liz A
    October 22, 2012 at 1:26 pm (2 years ago)

Good post! I will definitely come back to this next time I have a baby– all good things to remember to pack! And I definitely packed my entire make-up bag last time… there is a LOT of down time, not to mention a lot of photos! I, like you, feel better when I’m “put together” and freshened-up. I even packed my hair-straigtener and styling products. If someone wishes to call someone vein who is doing one of the most selfless acts one can do (mothering, birthing, etc)., then shame on them. :) All the best as you await #3.

13. Kristin Adams
    October 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm (2 years ago)

What kind of person would post a negative, judgmental comment on something so beautiful as a childbirth? I just gave birth 8 weeks ago, and lord knows that after 9 months of pregnancy and labor and delivery, it sure is nice to feel pretty and like yourself again! Especially for all of those hospital pictures! Just because you’re wearing makeup doesn’t mean that you’re being vain or are taking anything away from the baby. You go girl, I think this is a great post!

14. KristinO
    October 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm (2 years ago)

Great list! I love the dry shampoo idea- never thought about that one. And I will be bringing my entire make-up bag too…I have no desire to get my picture taken after I have this baby without makeup on!

15. Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife
    October 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm (2 years ago)

How exciting that it’s getting so close!! I loved seeing what you are packing. I think I need to get some nursing tanks for sure for next time!

16. Cynthia
    October 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm (2 years ago)

I love this post! I am actually pregnant with my third child…and have been wanting to sit down and organize the “hospital stuff” for awhile now. This babe isn’t due until February though, soooo, I think I have some time :)

Many blessings to you and your growing family! By the way, I totally think it’s a boy :)

17. Cajun Cowgirl
    October 22, 2012 at 9:53 pm (2 years ago)

We are due in March. I’m totally referring back to this post! Thanks for all the detail!

18. Allycia
    October 22, 2012 at 10:35 pm (2 years ago)

This post helped tremendously! I’m 8 months with baby #2 and have started putting things together. I didn’t pack makeup the first time around and looking back at photos, REALLY wish I had…lol. Will do this time!

Also love the goody bag idea for the nurses, so sweet!

Great post! Ignore the negative comments..way too much time on their hands!

xoxo

19. Stevie MooreBabies
    October 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm (2 years ago)

Gotta love those anonymous comments :). I just hit 33 weeks with #3 and was about to go search for a list of what to bring. Of course I have done this twice before but you always need a refresher!

I think I have to go try that mac under eye cream…

Good luck!

20. Rosie
    October 23, 2012 at 10:18 pm (2 years ago)

I wouldn’t go so far as to call someone vein that packs makeup when going to the hospital. I guess if it relaxes you to put on makeup, then it would be a great idea to pack. haha. I think it’s funny you put on makeup while in labor! And explains why you look perfect in every picture of yourself after you’ve given birth! Can you provide more tips on budgeting and time management while trying to run a household with three kids and a husband that’s a youth minister? Thanks. Good luck with the birth! Are you going all natural?

21. denise
    October 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm (2 years ago)

My bags always looked similar to yours, but we packed a before baby bag and an after baby bag, so we limited what we had in the room with us. Since our hospital moves you floors from labor to postpartum. I did add a written medical history, all the dates and things you need to cough up while in labor. Just because I had a baby come so fast and furiously, it was all I could do to concentrate on breathing versus answering questions. Just a thought

22. Mishu
    October 28, 2012 at 7:18 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for the list. I am definitely bookmarking for the next baby. I was so unprepared for the first one and didn’t think I needed to put any effort into the hospital bag. Well I hated how I looked in the pics and even two years later, I still do. I am usually a heavy packer because I like knowing that I have everything I can possibly need. Hubby is clueless about most things girl…so I can’t depend on him for make up stuff or even all the different nursing garments. Anyways, I love your blog, everything is so super cute!!! Ignore the rude comments, they are on every blog, I am sure you know that by now though.

23. julie gonzales
    November 12, 2012 at 4:25 pm (2 years ago)

Am referring to your blog post now that I am packing my bags too – 36 weeks. Getting more excited each and every day.Your post is super helpful! Thx!

24. Jess Wright
    November 29, 2012 at 12:39 am (2 years ago)

From a nurse: yes we LOVE candy and patients who bring it to us. I do my best to love each of my patients… it isn’t always easy, but candy definitely helps… although if you’re nice enough to think of bringing candy, odds are I already loved you :)

also, I LOVE Thumbelina!! I have loved that movie since I was little, and still do at 24, haha. I hope your little girls loved it as well.

25. Angela@Quarter Acre Cottage
    January 15, 2013 at 4:59 pm (2 years ago)

I just had my first (now 6 wks) we took a HUGE duffel bag for me, hubby, and baby. Over packed was an understatement after labor you kinda forget there’s Champagne and Sparkling Cider in your bag.

26. senee
    February 14, 2013 at 4:02 pm (2 years ago)

thank you so much for this. Hey im all about doing what is comfortable for YOU its YOUR birthing experience. who says you gota look like trash after lol!!. I love your ideas this will be my second child and im off to target to get my Pj’s and nursing tops! along with some CANDY!!! hope i dont eat it before i can buy the tags though. thanks again

27. Bria
    July 24, 2013 at 1:52 pm (1 year ago)

So…since I’m due in 8 weeks, with baby #3 I wanted to get an idea of what I needed to pack for the hospital and luckily I remembered this post. Thank again for letting us take a peek into your bag and into your life. :)

October 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm (11 months ago)

I think this post is simply amazing! and as far as make-up goes, I entirely forgot to pack it for my last one (though I intended to) but it was just 2am and I was too tired to even think at all! I absolutely can’t stand any photos of me for my last pregnancy which makes me so sad because apart from being unhappy with my appearance, everything else was pretty nice. Definitely making sure to bring my make-up this time around. I’m only 24 weeks now, but I know I have to start my packing ASAP since I’m expecting to be moving within 2 months and know I have to pack our home to move. This list was a beautiful refresher of the things I need :) thank you!

29. Nicholas
    October 21, 2013 at 10:19 am (11 months ago)

Great visual way to represent what to pack. Maybe you could also add what NOT to bring, like jewelry, diapers, lots of cash, etc.

30. Amy
    May 13, 2014 at 1:00 pm (4 months ago)

I love Always Infinity for postpartum bleeding. So much more comfortable than the pads they give in the hospital!