DIY Newborn Photo Tips- From one Amateur to Another

I love taking photos of my kids..and when they are newborn, you
REALLY want to capture their tiny little cuteness!
Newborn Photos are soooo adorable…
and with a few tips and tricks you can get really cute photos YOURSELF!
I am not a professional..I just like to take photos..
and take them a lot…learning as I go!

I thought I would try out some cute newborn poses with my
Micah and share what I did to make these shots happen!

CAMERA: Canon Rebel T1i
LENSES: 18-55mm and 50mm
(I shot most of these on manual. If you are learning your
camera check out you tube for great tutorials. I learned a lot that way!)
Here’s my round up of tips for getting great shots.
Plan on taking your time…can’t rush this newborn cuteness!
Nurse to comfort and calm the baby.. hold your hand on him or her to make them feel secure while you pose…let off at the last minute before you snap some shots!
NATURAL LIGHT makes the difference. Most of these were shot in
the early afternoon while my 2 and 4 yr old napped.. some were shot in the late afternoon.
I moved my coffee table around to get different shots..some in direct light and some not.
I liked the variety of shots! But if you have limited time..go for the indirect light..
overall you get great photos with detail! (my favorite is the one above!)

Sophie was a little helper during one of the sessions…
Big Sister snuggler/comforter. I went to switch my lense
and caught the below ones of her quick. ;)
I LOVE my green and white striped blanket
(clearance from target 4 years ago.. but they have similar styles sometimes)
I knew I wanted some shots with that blanket..
I love the textures that it and the fuzzy blue blanket give!
My mom crocheted a sweet little hat for Micah. Isn’t it cute?!
She has made up her own pattern so that the hat doesn’t
have that weird point..so much sweeter. Maybe I’ll get the pattern out of her to post! ;)
For this shot..I stood on the coffee table..carefully..
waiting to capture that smerk that he kept teasing me with!
Worth the wait..love this one!

Photographing your baby at different times..sleepy time..or his or her awake time…
gives you a variety of faces! I love the sleepy ones..but the ones with his eyes wide
open are what he looks like too and I don’t want to forget it!
I could stare at this kid all day.
oh wait.. I do! ;)

one last thing….
Photo EDITING:
I use photoshop for all my photos.. ‘Levels’ is a big help in getting the right lighting!
If you have photoshop but want to get better at it..again..watch you tube tutorials!
I also use actions. you can search for tons of free ones!
It makes editing a breeze! you can use actions and
then tweak yourself till you get it the way you want.
Here’s a ton to check out via a Pinterest Search.
And here’s some favorites of mine.
LOVE this one..

Happy photo taking!! :)
Hope these tips and photos give you inspiration and motivate
you to pull out your camera and take some photos of your baby!!
My girls are used to me well documenting their lives…haha.
My sienna (2) pretends to take photos of me with her play phone…
 while she takes pretend pictures she says “one more”…”awww cute”… “one more!”
she might have heard these things from me…..possibly. ;)

12 Comments on DIY Newborn Photo Tips- From one Amateur to Another

1. Natasha
    December 11, 2012 at 7:11 am (2 years ago)

These are all SO fabulous, Nztalie! Micah is such a looker!

2. Katie @mummydaddyme
    December 11, 2012 at 11:22 am (2 years ago)

These are fabulous photos, and he is a gorgeous looking baby. I cannot wait to take photos of my little newborn when she arrives in February- my toddler is nearly 2 and is not nearly as cooperative at allowing me to take photos of her!

Katie

3. Jenn-Neal
    December 11, 2012 at 9:48 pm (2 years ago)

He’s gorgeous! Congratulations!

4. Brie
    December 11, 2012 at 11:45 pm (2 years ago)

Heart.Melting. Great pictures!

5. Nohemis Strasser
    December 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm (2 years ago)

Wow, your kids are extremely adorable. These pictures are priceless. Thanks for the tips and tricks. I love taking pics of my little one and have always wondered how to photoshop them too look dreamy. Your post has taught me a lot and have inspired me to start using photoshop.

6. Christy
    December 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for the tips:) & sharing your darling pictures of your newest addition.

7. brynn_nicole26
    January 1, 2013 at 10:58 pm (2 years ago)

Where did you get that green and white striped blanket? I have seen them in magazines and ads, but never been able to find one. It looks fabulous in photos!

8. Angela
    February 15, 2013 at 11:40 am (2 years ago)

Thanks so much for your tips on photographing a newborn! I had my second daughter on Nov. 15 so these tips come in handy for me! I just found your blog via pinterest and am loving it! I would love for you to stop by my blog at http://mysillylifeblog.blogspot.com/

May 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm (1 year ago)

Love your pics!! They are soooo cute. Would sure like to have the pattern for that cute little hat.
    Thanks.

10. Annette M
    June 28, 2014 at 12:52 am (3 months ago)

Great job your photos are wonderful and precious :)
    Thank you for tips and helpfulness!